NAIROBI, Kenya —Kiambu Governor Kimani Wamatangi has appealed to the national government to intervene and open dialogue after more than 300 stalls at Githurai market were demolished in a controversial roadside clearance operation, raising concerns over the treatment of traders and the pace of infrastructure works in the area.
Speaking during a church service in Ruiru on Sunday, the Kiambu governor said the affected traders deserved engagement and fair treatment even as the government moves forward with transport infrastructure upgrades along the crowded Thika Superhighway corridor.
“President, you need people; the project is for the people,” Wamatangi said in his appeal to President William Ruto to convene talks between affected traders and the Kenya National Highways Authority to find a way forward.
“I politely ask you to hold a meeting with KeNHA because they came to Githurai the other day and demolished over 300 stalls overnight.”
Joined His Excellency President @WilliamsRuto for the Sunday Service at JesusChrist Compassion Ministries Int’l in Ruiru.
Clash Over Market Demolitions
The demolitions, carried out by KeNHA as part of a road reserve clearance exercise, sparked protests and disruptions along the superhighway after traders woke up to find their stalls flattened, later igniting confrontations that temporarily halted traffic.
Officials say the demolition was necessary to reclaim road reserve space and prepare for construction of a modern bus park and designated transport facilities aimed at improving safety, traffic flow, and commuter experience on one of the nation’s busiest transport corridors.
KeNHA has defended the move as lawful and in the interest of public safety.
But Wamatangi noted that farmers, traders and small business owners in Githurai must not bear the costs of development without adequate compensation or relocation support.
“Githurai needs a bus stage; we want it, we welcome it,” he said, stressing that the approach taken has risked creating public dissatisfaction around an otherwise welcome project.
Traders Cry Foul
Affected traders and market operators have accused authorities of moving too quickly and with little consultation, saying the overnight demolitions left them without livelihoods and little time to relocate.
Protesters argued they were not adequately consulted and no clear alternative spaces had been offered ahead of the exercise.
Many traders claim their businesses provide essential income to families who have operated in the area for years, and that being abruptly removed without prior engagement or compensation threatens their economic stability.



