Kenya Rugby Union Launches Inquiry After Journalist Manhandled at HSBC SVNS2

Trending

Joseph Muraya
Joseph Muraya
With over a decade in journalism, Joseph Muraya, founder and CEO of Y News, is a respected Communications Consultant and Journalist, formerly with Capital News Kenya. He aims to revolutionize storytelling in Kenya and Africa.

NAIROBI, Kenya- The Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) has issued an official statement following an incident at the HSBC SVNS2 Rugby Sevens tournament at Nyayo National Stadium, in which an accredited journalist was manhandled by a security official during the event.

The incident occurred on February 15, the final day of the two‑day international rugby tournament that drew thousands of fans to Nyayo Stadium. 

Social media footage and eyewitness accounts showed a female sports journalist being physically confronted by a person described as event security. 

The footage quickly circulated online, leading to public concern and criticism of the handling of media personnel at the event.

In response, the Kenya Rugby Union released a statement acknowledging the occurrence and emphasising its commitment to the safety and protection of accredited media covering rugby events.

 KRU said it was “aware of the allegations of inappropriate conduct involving a journalist at the HSBC SVNS2 tournament” and that it had “initiated an internal inquiry to establish the sequence of events and ensure appropriate action.”

“We categorically reaffirm that the safety and dignity of media professionals is a priority for the Union,” the statement read, adding that all accredited journalists are entitled to cover matches and related activities without obstruction or intimidation.

The Union also noted that it was working with event security partners and law enforcement agencies to clarify roles and responsibilities, and to prevent future incidents that could undermine press freedom at sporting events.

The incident sparked a strong reaction from the Sports Journalists Association of Kenya (SJAK), which had earlier condemned what it described as “growing hostility toward journalists in Kenyan sport” following the Nyayo Stadium episode. 

“Preliminary information indicates that an individual entered a restricted zone near the track and medical area without the required accreditation clearance,”  the union said a statement on Tuesday.

KRU said it does not condone excessive use of force under any circumstances.

- Advertisement -spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest

- Advertisement -spot_img