spot_img

Matatu Operators Threaten Nationwide Strike Over Vehicle Torchings

Date:

NAIROBI, Kenya — Matatu operators have announced plans to stage a nationwide strike beginning Monday next week, citing repeated attacks and torching of their vehicles by boda boda operators and what they describe as government inaction.

Addressing the press on Wednesday, January 28, Public Service Vehicle (PSV) operators accused the government of failing to protect them despite the transport sector being among the country’s largest taxpayers.

The operators said the situation had become untenable, warning that continued violence against matatus would trigger widespread disruption of transport services.

“Most matatus are not insured. We are asking the government, which is mandated to protect all citizens, to also protect us as a sector,” one operator said.

He added that the issue was not tax compliance but the lack of security for their businesses, noting that vehicles should not be set ablaze under any circumstances.

The operators argued that taxes paid by the transport sector sustain the government’s recurrent budget, including fuel levies used to maintain roads nationwide.

They said it was unfair for roads funded through their contributions to be used while their livelihoods remain exposed to violence and destruction.

Warning of escalation, the operators said patience within the sector was wearing thin.

“If a vehicle is torched henceforth, we are going to have a big issue with whoever will do that,” the operators warned, claiming that no meaningful arrests or official reports have followed recent incidents.

They announced that from Monday, February 2, they will down their tools and block major roads and highways across the country.

“On Monday, we shall not just lay down our tools; we will ensure that roads maintained through fuel levies are blocked,” they said.

“There will be no passing until the government addresses our concerns. We have not seen arrests or reports.”

A 33-seater matatu on fire along Kangundo Road in Embakasi Central, Nairobi on Friday, November 14, 2025.

The announcement comes amid rising concern over mob violence involving boda boda operators, particularly following road accidents.

Last week, a matatu belonging to Forward Travelers Sacco was torched along Juja Road in Nairobi after the driver allegedly knocked down a pedestrian and attempted to flee the scene.

In another incident in November last year, a mob of boda boda riders set ablaze a 33-seater minibus near Mama Lucy Hospital in Embakasi Central after it reportedly knocked down a rider along Kangundo Road.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Kenya Rugby Union Launches Inquiry After Journalist Manhandled at HSBC SVNS2

NAIROBI, Kenya- The Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) has issued...

Explainer: How the National Government Will Deploy Sh 80 Billion to Transform Nairobi

NAIROBI, Kenya- The National Government has unveiled plans to...

Willis Onyango Wasonga Pleads Not Guilty in Fake Gold Case

NAIROBI, Kenya- A Kenyan man, Willis Onyango Wasonga, has...

Government Moves 2024 Mahi Mahiu Flood Victims to Safer Land with Title Deeds

MAAI MAHIU, Kenya — The Government has reaffirmed its...