spot_img

Sifuna Warns Against Unconstitutional Transfer as Sakaja, Ruto Deal Looms

Date:

NAIROBI, Kenya — Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna has raised constitutional concerns ahead of a planned State House signing ceremony Tuesday afternoon that is expected to formalise discussions between Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja and President William Ruto over the administration of key city services.

Sifuna’s intervention comes after conflicting reports emerged around whether City Hall is set to transfer core county functions to the national government, a step critics say would undermine devolution and flout the Constitution.

Sakaja had earlier accused powerful figures of pushing for the deal.

Sakaja Denies Transfer — But Questions Remain

This week, Governor Sakaja took to social media to dismiss claims that Nairobi County had ceded any responsibilities to the national government, calling such reports ‘fake news.’ 

He went ahead and assured Nairobi Members of the County Assembly that he would not transfer functions to the National Government.

He said no deed of transfer had been signed and that the county would retain control over its core mandates.

Despite Sakaja’s denials, political debate intensified after reports suggested discussions with the national government could lead to a shared responsibility formula for services such as garbage collection, public works, roads, and water supply, similar to arrangements seen under the previous Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS).

Sakaja has, however, insisted that any collaboration with the national government will remain within constitutional bounds, and that no formal transfer of functions has taken place.

Sifuna: No Transfer Without Legal Process

Senator Sifuna, whose role includes defending devolution, said he was taken by surprise by the planned State House engagement and called on Sakaja to respect constitutional procedures.

“The Governor assured us he wasn’t transferring any functions to the National Government. I’m surprised to see a scheduled signing ceremony at the State House this afternoon,” Sifuna said.

Sifuna warned that any unconstitutional clawback of devolution would be “strenuously resisted.” 

The Constitution requires that transfers of functions between levels of government be formalised through a deed of transfer agreed upon by both parties and, in many instances, be approved by the affected county assembly.

Historical Context: NMS and Previous Transfers

The recurring tension over Nairobi’s governance arrangements recalls the 2020 Nairobi Metropolitan Services transfer, when former Governor Mike Sonko and then‑President Uhuru Kenyatta signed a deed transferring several county functions to the national government. 

That arrangement was later reversed in 2022 after its term expired and power was restored to City Hall.

Joseph Muraya
Joseph Muraya
With over a decade in journalism, Joseph Muraya, founder and CEO of Y News, is a respected Communications Consultant and Journalist, formerly with Capital News Kenya. He aims to revolutionize storytelling in Kenya and Africa.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Ruto Directs Murkomen to Develop Nairobi Metropolitan Police Unit Framework Within 60 Days

NAIROBI, Kenya — President William Ruto has given Interior...

National Government, Nairobi County Partner on Sh80 Billion Urban Development Package

NAIROBI, Kenya — President William Ruto has announced a...

Government Takes Over Key Nairobi Functions, Pledges Sh3.7 Billion for Street Lighting

NAIROBI, Kenya — The national government has assumed responsibility...

Kenya, Jamaica Partner to Strengthen Tourism Resilience with AI and Innovation

The government of Kenya has signed a memorandum of...