Linda Mwananchi Website Taken Offline After Cyber Attacks

Date:

NAIROBI, Kenya — Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna has confirmed that the newly launched Linda Mwananchi website was temporarily taken offline following a series of malicious cyber attacks that hit the platform shortly after it went live.

The Linda Mwananchi platform, which aims to mobilise citizens around governance and accountability issues, went live on Friday, March 13, 2026, and rapidly gained thousands of users eager to register. 

However, almost immediately afterwards, the site experienced “massive cyber attacks,” forcing its administrators to pull it down to address security vulnerabilities.

In a statement, Sifuna thanked supporters for their overwhelming engagement and sign-ups, but said the decision to take lindamwananchi.com offline was necessary to strengthen the platform’s resilience against attacks and incorporate user feedback for improvements. 

“That’s the energy we need,” Sifuna wrote, adding that the team would work on fixing the issues before relaunch.

The cyber attacks on the site sparked concerns about data privacy and protection, after screenshots circulated on social media showing alleged users’ names, phone numbers, email addresses and other personal information that had been collected in the initial hours after launch. 

Critics questioned whether the website had adequate safeguards to protect sensitive user data.

The Linda Mwananchi initiative, widely linked with wider political mobilisation efforts, had generated significant online support, but the controversy over security setbacks has drawn scrutiny over digital campaign infrastructure and user data handling in politically charged platforms.

Sifuna said the site’s temporary removal is a “pause for improvements,” assuring that the platform will return stronger once technical and security upgrades are completed, and incorporating suggestions from early users.

Joseph Muraya
Joseph Muraya
With over a decade in journalism, Joseph Muraya, founder and CEO of Y News, is a respected Communications Consultant and Journalist, formerly with Capital News Kenya. He aims to revolutionize storytelling in Kenya and Africa.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

DCI Launches Manhunt for Suspects Behind Thika Road Vehicle Torching

NAIROBI, Kenya- The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has...

Fresh Fuel Prices Announced as Government Responds to Crisis

NAIROBI, Kenya-The Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) has...

Super Metro Suspends Operations as Nationwide Matatu Strike Continues

NAIROBI, Kenya- Public transport operator Super Metro has announced...

Court Deals Ruto Government Major Blow Over Safaricom Shares

NAIROBI, Kenya- The government has suffered a major setback...