spot_img

Former Prince Andrew Arrested in UK Over Misconduct in Public Office

Date:

LONDON — Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was arrested on February 19, 2026, on suspicion of misconduct in public office amid an ongoing investigation linked to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. 

The arrest comes after renewed scrutiny of his past conduct and previously unreleased documents related to his relationships and official roles.

Thames Valley Police confirmed that officers detained a man in his 60s at his Wood Farm residence on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, where Andrew had been living, on suspicion of misconduct in public office. 

Searches were also conducted at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk as part of the inquiry. The detained man remains in custody while the investigation continues.

The alleged misconduct under investigation relates to claims that Andrew, who served as a UK trade envoy between 2001 and 2011, shared confidential government information with Epstein or associated individuals, a potential abuse of his former public position. 

The probe reflects material from millions of pages of documents released from the U.S. Department of Justice’s Epstein files, which have drawn fresh interest in the case.

In response to the arrest, King Charles III issued a statement expressing that he had learned of the situation “with the deepest concern” and emphasised the importance of due legal process. 

The King said the investigation must be conducted through the proper channels and that “the law must take its course,” affirming the royal family’s full support and cooperation with the authorities.

King Charles also stressed that it would be inappropriate to comment further while legal proceedings are underway, reiterating the commitment to uphold the rule of law regardless of status. Authorities and Buckingham Palace have said they are ready to assist with inquiries.

The offence of misconduct in public office is a serious common‑law charge in the UK, traditionally applied in cases involving wilful neglect or abuse of official responsibilities, and can carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment if convicted. 

Experts note that prosecutors must prove that the alleged conduct amounted to a serious abuse of power.

Andrew’s arrest has drawn widespread attention as a rare instance of a senior royal facing criminal investigation, particularly given his previous departure from public duties and loss of royal titles. 

It also underscores ongoing legal and public accountability issues related to his past associations and activities.

The investigation is ongoing, and police have appealed for the public to respect the process as they continue searching properties and reviewing evidence, while updates are expected at appropriate stages. 

Joseph Muraya
Joseph Muraya
With over a decade in journalism, Joseph Muraya, founder and CEO of Y News, is a respected Communications Consultant and Journalist, formerly with Capital News Kenya. He aims to revolutionize storytelling in Kenya and Africa.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

‘Nawapenda Sana’: David Shitanda’s Last Message To His Mum Before Death in Russia

NAIROBI, Kenya — David “Davi” Shitanda’s life began in...

King Charles Says ‘Law Must Take Its Course’ After Arrest of Former Prince Andrew

LONDON — King Charles III has stated the arrest of...

Kenya Urged to Ensure Equitable Access to New HIV Prevention Injectable

NAIROBI, Kenya — Group CEO of Amref Health Africa...

Only Female Officer in Mukogodo Forest Gets Promotion

NANYUKI, Kenya — Constable Winfred Gacheri Kinoti has been...