Iran Says Strait of Hormuz Open as Lebanon Ceasefire Eases Tensions in Region

Date:

NAIROBI, Kenya – Iran has declared that the Strait of Hormuz remains open following a ceasefire agreement linked to a Lebanon deal, easing fears over one of the world’s most critical energy corridors.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said in a post on X that the waterway was open to all commercial vessels for the duration of the US-brokered 10-day truce between Israeli forces and Iran-backed Hezbollah agreed between Israel and Lebanon.

He, however, noted that ships must adhere to routes issued by Iran’s Ports and Maritime Organisation.

“The Strait was open for all commercial vessels for the remainder of the US-brokered 10-day truce,” Araqchi said, adding that passage must follow “the route that Iran’s Ports and Maritime Organisation had announced.”

The announcement comes after weeks of heightened tensions following the US-Israeli attack on Iran, which began on February 28 and has left thousands dead while destabilising the wider Middle East.

The conflict had raised concerns over the Strait of Hormuz, a key global shipping lane through which about a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes.

The partial reopening helped calm markets, with oil prices falling by about 9%, extending earlier losses after Araqchi’s statement.

“The Strait was effectively the pressure point for global energy markets,” analysts noted, as investors reacted to easing supply fears.

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said he believes a broader agreement to end the Iran conflict could be reached “soon,” although he acknowledged uncertainty over the exact timing.

Trump had earlier suggested talks could take place as early as the weekend, but logistical challenges in assembling delegations in Islamabad have cast doubt on that timeline.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has since lowered its global growth forecasts, warning that prolonged instability could push the world economy toward recession.

Naomi Njoroge
Naomi Njorogehttps://ynews.digital/
Naomi Njoroge is a storyteller who brings a sharp editorial eye and a deep passion for impactful journalism to Y News. As a Storyteller & News Editor, Naomi specializes in creating stories that shape news into engaging, and deeply resonant stories that both inform and inspire the audience.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Mbadi Sparks 2032 Succession Debate With Call to End Kikuyu-Kalenjin Presidency Cycle

NAIROBI, Kenya — Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi has...

Kenya Launches CHERISH Programme to Restore Cherangany Hills Ecosystem

ELGEYO MARAKWET, Kenya — The Government has launched a...

Manchester United Confirm Michael Carrick as Permanent Head Coach

Manchester United have officially confirmed that Michael Carrick will...

Wilson Airport Temporarily Closed After UN-Linked Aircraft Crash-Lands in Nairobi

NAIROBI, Kenya — Wilson Airport was temporarily closed on...