HOMA BAY, Kenya- A Mediamax Network Limited vehicle was torched and media equipment vandalised and stolen on Sunday evening as journalists covering the Linda Mwananchi rally came under attack in Homa Bay.
The double-cabin vehicle was set ablaze at about 7pm as Linda Mwananchi leaders attempted to access Homa Bay Town, according to a statement from Mediamax.
Several pieces of equipment were also vandalised or stolen during the attack.
Cameramen Francis Mwangi and Evans Okeyo were among the journalists targeted while covering the political activities. Mwangi sustained serious injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment, while the vehicle’s driver was also injured.
Mediamax said it was assessing the incident and would provide further information as it becomes available.
Citizen TV vehicle also vandalised
The attack on the Mediamax team came amid a wider assault on journalists covering the politically charged events in Homa Bay.
Citizen TV, which is operated by Royal Media Services, also had its media team attacked, with two RMS journalists among at least four journalists reportedly injured during the day’s confrontations. The RMS vehicle was vandalised and journalists lost personal belongings and equipment.
The attacks came as groups of youths blocked roads leading into Homa Bay Town, with political supporters confronting each other as Linda Mwananchi leaders attempted to reach the town for a rally.
AFP journalists also assaulted
Earlier in the day, AFP journalists Fred Ooko and Brian Ongoro were assaulted while covering the unrest in Homa Bay.
The journalists were reportedly beaten by youths armed with crude weapons, with their press cards, driving licences, cameras and other belongings taken. They later reported the incident at Homa Bay Police Station.
The incidents have raised fresh concerns about the safety of journalists covering political events as Kenya heads towards the 2027 General Election.
The Kenya Editors Guild condemned the assault on the AFP journalists, describing the incident as an attack on media freedom and the public’s right to information.
Violence disrupts Linda Mwananchi rally
The attacks occurred during a day of heightened tension across Homa Bay County, with roads blocked in several areas and businesses and transport services disrupted.
Citizen Digital reported that one vehicle was torched, several people including journalists were injured and 17 suspects were arrested following the violence.
The unrest followed an attack on Homa Bay Tourist Hotel on Saturday night, where youths reportedly damaged property and stole items. Police said the incident was under investigation.
The violence has since attracted condemnation from human rights and media organisations, with calls for authorities to investigate the attacks and protect journalists, political actors and residents.




