Two Killed After Mining Shaft Collapses in Migori as Drownings Claim Two More Lives

Date:

MIGORI, Kenya — Two men have died after a mining shaft collapsed while they were reportedly installing structural supports at a mining site in Kwa Milka, Kuria West, Migori County.

The incident occurred on August 15, 2026, with police saying the two men were inside the shaft when it suddenly collapsed, burying them under soil and stone debris.

The victims were reportedly repairing and reinforcing the shaft when the collapse occurred.

Members of the public later transported the bodies to Kehancha Sub-County Hospital, where they were reported to police as victims of a mining accident.

Police officers visited the hospital and confirmed the deaths.

One of the victims was identified by relatives as Chris Menganyi, a 25-year-old member of the Kuria community. The identity of the second man had not been established at the time of reporting.

Police said the owner of the mining shaft had not been reached and was being sought to assist investigators in establishing the circumstances surrounding the collapse.

Officers processed the scene as investigations continued. The bodies were preserved at the Kehancha Sub-County Hospital Mortuary pending postmortem examinations.

Mining safety concerns

The latest deaths add to concerns over safety at mining sites, where workers and artisanal miners can face significant risks from unstable underground structures and inadequate safety measures.

Officials and stakeholders in the mining sector have previously called for stronger enforcement of safety standards and reforms aimed at reducing accidents and improving working conditions at mining sites.

The Migori incident also highlights the risks faced by workers operating in informal and artisanal mining areas, where proper structural reinforcement and adherence to safety requirements can be critical in preventing shaft collapses.

Man drowns in Kisii stream

In a separate incident in Kisii County, a 44-year-old man drowned in Rianyamisa Stream in Kitutu Central on Friday night.

The deceased was identified as Samuel Ongoro, whose body was discovered in the water at Bochura Village, Mwamuzioma Sub-location, on Saturday morning.

Police said witnesses reported that Ongoro was last seen at about 7.20 p.m. on Friday, allegedly drunk and heading out to collect a milk debt.

Officers visited the scene, located about three kilometres east of the police station, and established that Ongoro had drowned in the stream.

His body was retrieved from the water and taken to the Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital mortuary, where it was preserved pending postmortem examination.

Police have continued investigating the circumstances surrounding the drowning.

Eight-year-old boy drowns at Kwale beach

Meanwhile, an eight-year-old boy drowned while swimming with other children at Mwaepe Beach in Msambweni, Kwale County.

The incident occurred on Friday, August 14, according to police.

The boy, a Grade Three pupil at Malalani Primary School, had been swimming with other children when efforts to rescue him failed.

He subsequently succumbed to drowning.

Police officers from Diani Police Station, accompanied by Scenes of Crime personnel, visited the beach and documented the incident.

The boy’s body was later moved to the Kwale Sub-County Hospital mortuary, where it is being preserved pending an autopsy.

The three incidents bring renewed attention to safety risks facing workers at mining sites and people, particularly children, around water bodies. Authorities continue to urge the public to exercise caution around unstable structures, rivers, streams and beaches to prevent avoidable deaths.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Gachagua Moves to Court of Appeal Seeking to Overturn Impeachment

NAIROBI, Kenya — Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has...

Disney Fans Find Escapist Haven at D23 as Thousands Gather for Ultimate Fan Event

Thousands of Disney fans descended on Anaheim for D23,...

Cristiano Ronaldo Says 2026–27 Could Be His Final Football Season

Cristiano Ronaldo has indicated that the 2026–27 season could...

EADB Injects Sh11.6 Million Into East Africa School Games in Tanzania

MOROGORO, Tanzania — The East African Development Bank (EADB)...