Ex-Migori Governor Obado Seeks Lenient Sentence, Citing Age, Health and Lengthy Trial

Date:

NAIROBI, Kenya – Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado has asked the High Court to consider a lenient sentence, including a non-custodial term, following his conviction for the murder of Rongo University student Sharon Otieno.

In a pre-sentence social inquiry report tabled before the court, Obado cited his age, health condition, and the lengthy period it took to conclude the case as reasons the court should exercise leniency.

During interviews with probation officers, Obado maintained that he did not participate in Sharon’s murder, despite acknowledging that the two had been in an intimate relationship. He told the officers that while he respected the court’s verdict, he disagreed with the finding that he was involved in Sharon’s death.

Remorse and reconciliation

Obado expressed remorse over Sharon’s death and said he remained willing to support her family and pursue reconciliation. The former governor has no previous criminal convictions.

He cited his health, with the report noting that he suffers from hypertension and had complained of pain around his left shoulder. He also told probation officers that he was prepared to take responsibility for Sharon’s pregnancy after the birth of the child and a DNA test.

He acknowledged that he had entrusted his former personal assistant, Michael Oyamo, with handling matters involving Sharon, including linking up with her.

Family’s position

In a notable development, Sharon’s family told probation officers that they had no objection to Obado being considered for a lenient sentence. The family cited the support he has continued to provide to them and welcomed reconciliation efforts.

They further asked that Obado be allowed to honour promises and pledges he had made to Sharon’s parents, saying this would help ease the economic difficulties they have faced since her death.

Background and legal context

Obado, along with his former personal assistant Michael Oyamo and former Migori County Clerk Caspal Obiero, was convicted on July 23, 2026, after a trial that heard evidence from 52 witnesses. Justice Cecilia Githua found that the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt and that the three acted in concert to orchestrate Sharon’s killing.

The court established that Obado conceived, financed and instigated the plot, while Oyamo facilitated its execution and Obiero provided logistical support and helped conceal the crime. DNA evidence confirmed Obado as the father of Sharon’s unborn child, and the court established a motive linked to Sharon’s refusal to terminate the pregnancy and threats to expose the relationship.

Following the conviction, Justice Githua cancelled their bond terms and remanded them in custody. The case has been one of Kenya’s longest-running and most closely watched murder trials.

Sentencing framework

Under Section 203 of the Penal Code, murder is defined as the unlawful killing of another person with malice aforethought. Following the Supreme Court’s 2017 Muruatetu decision, the death penalty is no longer mandatory for murder convictions, and judges now have discretion to consider mitigating and aggravating factors.

Possible outcomes range from a death sentence to life imprisonment or a lengthy jail term. The court will consider the probation report alongside the victim impact statement and submissions by the prosecution and defence before determining the appropriate sentence.

The matter is expected to be heard on September 16, 2026.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Begins Nearly 30 Years After Rapper’s Death

LAS VEGAS, United States -The long-awaited Tupac Shakur murder...

YouTube Changes How It Counts Views From August 24

NAIROBI, Kenya - YouTube is changing the way it...

Gachagua Warns of Anarchy, Alleges Plot to Delay 2027 Polls

NAIROBI, Kenya - DCP Party leader Rigathi Gachagua has accused...

Sharon Otieno Family Seeks Compensation After Eight-Year Court Battle

NAIROBI, Kenya - The family of slain Rongo University student...