Police Recover CCTV Footage After Gun Snatched During Makueni Protests

Date:

WOTE, Kenya — Police in Makueni County have recovered CCTV footage showing protesters fleeing with a firearm allegedly snatched from a police officer during fuel-related protests in Wote town.

The incident occurred on May 18 during demonstrations over rising fuel prices, which escalated into clashes between protesters and police.

According to preliminary reports, an anti-riot officer deployed to contain the protests was overpowered, beaten, and injured before his firearm was taken.

CCTV shows suspects fleeing with a gun

On Tuesday, May 19, police said they retrieved CCTV footage capturing the moments after the weapon was stolen.

The footage shows a man wearing a yellow T-shirt, brown trousers, a beanie, and a mask running through a crowd while holding a firearm.

Other protesters are seen moving alongside him, with some appearing to cheer and direct him as he flees the scene.

A second individual, dressed in blue jeans and an Arsenal jersey, is seen closely following the suspect while attempting to view the weapon.

Manhunt launched

Police in Makueni have since launched a manhunt to recover the stolen firearm and arrest those involved.

Authorities have appealed to members of the public to provide any information that may assist in tracking down the suspects.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has also been drawn into the case as investigations continue.

Protest violence and property damage

The protests in Wote also saw the burning of the United Democratic Alliance (UDA) party offices in the town.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen condemned the destruction of property, describing the incident as criminal and politically motivated.

CS Murkomen alleged that a political figure may have mobilised individuals to carry out the attack, and said the DCI had already launched investigations into the matter.

National unrest amid fuel protests

The Wote incident is part of wider protests across the country linked to fuel price increases, which have triggered public anger and demonstrations in several towns.

Authorities say four people have been killed and hundreds arrested in connection with the unrest.

Security agencies have since stepped up operations to restore order and prevent further escalation.

Political reactions

Amid the unrest, former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua claimed that the suspension of a nationwide matatu strike was only temporary and would not resolve underlying grievances.

He urged Kenyans to continue pushing for their demands, arguing that meaningful reforms were still needed in the transport and fuel sectors.

Security concerns deepen

The recovery of CCTV footage showing a stolen police firearm has raised fresh concerns over the escalation of violence during protests, with security agencies warning against attacks on officers and destruction of public property.

Investigations into the Wote incident are ongoing as police intensify efforts to recover the weapon and identify all individuals involved.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Seven Nigerian Soldiers Killed in Suspected Terror Ambush Near Niger Border

ABUJA, Nigeria — At least seven Nigerian soldiers were...

Kenya Pushes to Expand Exports as Trade with Brazil Records 25pc Growth

BRASILIA, Brazil — Kenya is seeking to deepen trade...

Kenya Steps Up Ebola Preparedness as Regional Outbreak Spreads in DRC, Uganda

NAIROBI, Kenya — Kenya has intensified national preparedness measures...

Nigeria Says Joint US Airstrikes Kill 175 IS Militants, Including Senior Leader

ABUJA, Nigeria — The Nigerian military says joint airstrikes...