Seven Nigerian Soldiers Killed in Suspected Terror Ambush Near Niger Border

Date:

ABUJA, Nigeria — At least seven Nigerian soldiers were killed in a suspected terrorist ambush in northwestern Nigeria near the border with Niger, military and local sources have confirmed.

The attack occurred late on Saturday in Sokoto State after troops returned from a raid targeting a camp linked to the Lakurawa armed group outside Illela town.

Military officials said the soldiers were travelling in a convoy when one of their vehicles developed a mechanical fault, forcing it to stop as the other vehicles moved ahead.

It was during this breakdown that suspected militants launched the attack.

“Regrettable casualties”

A military spokesperson in the region, Lieutenant Colonel Olaniyi Osoba of the Nigerian Armed Forces, confirmed the incident but did not disclose an exact death toll.

“We incurred regrettable casualties over the weekend around Illela,” he said, adding that reinforcements had been deployed to the area.

He also said ongoing operations were underway to track and neutralise the attackers.

Local residents told AFP that at least seven soldiers were killed, including a lieutenant, while one soldier reportedly escaped.

The bodies were later recovered and taken to Illela, according to residents.

Breakaway attack after stalled vehicle

Witnesses said the troops were operating in a convoy of three vehicles when the breakdown occurred, forcing one unit to stop while the others continued.

That delay is believed to have exposed the soldiers to the ambush in an area where militants remain active and highly mobile.

The Lakurawa group, which has links to wider Sahel-based extremist networks, has maintained a presence in parts of Sokoto and Kebbi states since 2018 and has become increasingly active in recent years.

Rising insecurity in northwest Nigeria

The incident highlights continuing insecurity in Nigeria’s northwest, where armed groups frequently target military patrols, rural communities, and transport routes.

Broader counterterror operations

The attack came amid intensified regional counterterrorism operations involving Nigeria and international partners.

Recent joint strikes have targeted militant positions across the Lake Chad Basin and parts of the Sahel region.

Persistent security challenges

Despite repeated military operations, armed groups continue to adapt tactics, including ambushes, hit-and-run attacks, and roadside assaults targeting security convoys.

Authorities have pledged to sustain pressure on the groups while reinforcing vulnerable border regions.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Police Recover CCTV Footage After Gun Snatched During Makueni Protests

WOTE, Kenya — Police in Makueni County have recovered...

Kenya Pushes to Expand Exports as Trade with Brazil Records 25pc Growth

BRASILIA, Brazil — Kenya is seeking to deepen trade...

Kenya Steps Up Ebola Preparedness as Regional Outbreak Spreads in DRC, Uganda

NAIROBI, Kenya — Kenya has intensified national preparedness measures...

Nigeria Says Joint US Airstrikes Kill 175 IS Militants, Including Senior Leader

ABUJA, Nigeria — The Nigerian military says joint airstrikes...