Mombasa Security Team Debunks ‘Missing Genitals’ Claims Behind Deadly Mob Justice

Date:

MOMBASA, Kenya — The Mombasa County Security and Intelligence Committee has warned residents against taking the law into their own hands following a series of mob attacks triggered by false claims that people’s genitalia are disappearing after being touched by strangers.

County Commissioner Mohamed Noor said investigations have established that the allegations are baseless and are being exploited by criminals to spread panic, attack innocent people, and create opportunities for theft and looting.

The warning follows incidents at Kongowea and Marikiti markets on Monday, where two individuals were assaulted by crowds after being accused of causing the alleged disappearance of other people’s genitalia.

“We have been able to arrest one person who was doing that. He said that he had lost his genitals, but he was investigated, and it turned out he had not lost anything. No one has the ability to remove it,” Noor said.

According to the county security team, checks conducted at hospitals and health facilities across Mombasa found no reported or confirmed cases of missing genitalia.

“We went to all hospitals and health centres, no one has lost anything. It is gossip that is being misused, especially on TikTok,” Noor said.

Security officials indicated that the rumours first emerged in neighbouring Kwale County before spreading to Mombasa, where they have fueled fear and vigilantism.

Noor warned that criminal groups may be using the hoax to distract the public and target traders and businesses.

“In all these, they intend to create chaos to be able to rob traders and the shops. We have been able to get the videos, and we will apprehend those who did the assaults,” he said.

The County Commissioner stressed that residents who participate in mob attacks will face criminal charges, regardless of whether they were responding to rumours circulating in public spaces.

“If you assaulted a person at the market without a reason because you saw others being assaulted, you too will be charged because you don’t have the right to take the law into your own hands,” he warned.

Authorities also cautioned social media users against spreading unverified claims or creating content that amplifies the hoax, saying those found exploiting the rumours for attention or other purposes could face legal action.

Mombasa County Police Commander Stella Cherono urged residents to ignore the allegations and instead report any suspicious incidents to law enforcement agencies.

Cherono confirmed that three suspects have so far been arrested in connection with the attacks, with investigations continuing to identify and apprehend other individuals involved.

The security committee reiterated that no medical evidence exists to support the claims and urged the public to rely on verified information while allowing law enforcement agencies to handle any reported incidents through established legal processes.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

CS Kagwe Assures Kenyans of Food Security Despite Drought Impact on Maize

ELDORET, Kenya — Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe has...

Gachagua Hits Mbadi Over Soda Sales and Economic Recovery

NAIROBI, Kenya — Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has...

Karua to Ruto: Resign If You Cannot Handle Political Competition

NAIROBI, Kenya — People's Liberation Party (PLP) leader Martha...

Kenyatta University Expands Law Programmes With New LLM

NAIROBI, Kenya — Kenyatta University has launched its Master...