Kindiki Says Ruto Needs Second Term to Complete Development Agenda

Date:

ELDORET, Kenya — Deputy President Kithure Kindiki has urged Kenyans to support President William Ruto for a second term, arguing that the Constitution provides a 10-year presidential tenure to enable leaders to initiate and complete national development programmes.

Speaking during an interdenominational worship and thanksgiving service in Ziwa, Soy Constituency, on Sunday, Kindiki dismissed calls for a one-term presidency, saying such arguments misinterpret the constitutional framework governing executive leadership.

“The Constitution has designed a two-term period for the President of Kenya to be able to start and complete programs, and therefore anybody trying to sell a narrative of anything short of a two-term must know they are undermining the Constitution of Kenya,” he said.

The Deputy President noted that Kenya’s current constitutional order introduced presidential term limits to prevent prolonged stays in office while still allowing sufficient time for elected leaders to implement their policy agendas.

He contrasted the present arrangement with the pre-2010 constitutional framework, under which Kenya’s founding President Jomo Kenyatta and former President Daniel arap Moi served for extended periods without term restrictions.

According to Kindiki, the first five-year term allows a president to introduce policies, reforms, and flagship projects, while a second term provides an opportunity to complete and consolidate those initiatives.

“Hakuna kitu kama one term kwa katiba. Yule mtu anasema one term hajasoma katiba. Term ya kwanza ni ya kuleta programs, kuleta policies, kuleta marekebisho na kuleta ile miradi ambayo inaambatana na ruwaza ya huyo kiongozi. Term ya pili ni ya kukamilisha,” he said.

The Deputy President argued that President Ruto has already rolled out major programmes in agriculture, affordable housing, healthcare, infrastructure, and social protection, and should be allowed additional time to fully implement them.

His remarks come amid growing political debate over the administration’s performance and ahead of the 2027 General Election, where the President is expected to seek re-election.

Warning Ahead of June 25 Demonstrations

Kindiki also addressed demonstrations planned for June 25, stressing that while the Constitution guarantees the right to peaceful assembly and protest, those freedoms must be exercised within the law.

He warned against destruction of property, looting, and violence, saying security agencies would be deployed to safeguard public order.

“On Thursday, there will be no monkey business anywhere in Kenya. If you wish to make noise in the town, make your noise, then go home in the evening. But matters of breaking shops, matters of injuring citizens, forget it,” he said.

The remarks come as authorities prepare for demonstrations expected to commemorate last year’s anti-government protests and renew calls for accountability on governance and economic issues.

Kindiki maintained that the government supports constitutional freedoms but would not tolerate criminal acts carried out under the guise of peaceful protest.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Mt. Kenya Politics: Ndindi Nyoro Announces First Rally After Leaving UDA

NAIROBI, Kenya - Kiharu MP Ndindi Nyoro will on...

‘They Are Coming for You’: Gachagua Warns Oburu as ODM Leadership Fight Deepens

NAIROBI, Kenya — Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has...

“Inauma”: Mosiria Asks CA to Probe Alleged Misuse of Digital Platforms, Protect Children Online

NAIROBI, Kenya — Nairobi City County Chief Officer for...

Mosiria Urges Gov’t to Create ‘Life Starter Pack’ Fund for Young People Seeking to Marry

NAIROBI, Kenya — Nairobi County Chief Officer for Customer...