Nigeria Says Joint US Airstrikes Kill 175 IS Militants, Including Senior Leader

Date:

ABUJA, Nigeria — The Nigerian military says joint airstrikes conducted with United States forces over the weekend have killed 175 Islamic State (IS) militants in northeast Nigeria, including a senior global operations commander described as the group’s second-in-command.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Defence Headquarters said the coordinated strikes targeted key militant infrastructure and leadership networks in remote parts of the country.

The military said assessments conducted as of May 19, 2026, showed that 175 IS fighters had been “eliminated from the battlefield” following a series of precision air operations.

Senior IS leader killed

Among those killed is Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described by Nigerian authorities and the US Africa Command (AFRICOM) as a senior IS figure responsible for global operational coordination.

Officials said al-Minuki played a key role in directing the group’s media, financial systems, and weapons development programmes, including explosives and drone technology.

He was also described as one of the “most active terrorists” within the group’s international network.

Infrastructure targeted

The Defence Headquarters said the joint strikes destroyed several IS facilities, including checkpoints, weapons storage sites, logistical hubs, and financial networks used to support militant operations.

Military officials said the operation significantly disrupted the group’s operational capabilities in the region.

The strikes were carried out in coordination with US forces, marking a continued partnership in counterterrorism operations across the Lake Chad Basin.

Long-running insurgency

Nigeria has faced over a decade of insurgency from jihadist groups, including Boko Haram and its offshoots, particularly the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).

The conflict has led to thousands of deaths and displaced millions across northeastern Nigeria and neighbouring countries.

Security forces continue to conduct joint operations aimed at weakening militant networks operating across porous borders in the region.

West Africa remains a hotspot

Recent conflict data shows that West Africa has become one of the most active global regions for Islamist militancy.

According to conflict monitoring group ACLED, Islamic State-linked activity in Africa reached record levels in early 2026, driven by increased attacks and recruitment in the Sahel and Lake Chad regions.

Analysts warn that despite military gains, extremist groups continue to adapt through decentralised cells and cross-border movements.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Police Recover CCTV Footage After Gun Snatched During Makueni Protests

WOTE, Kenya — Police in Makueni County have recovered...

Seven Nigerian Soldiers Killed in Suspected Terror Ambush Near Niger Border

ABUJA, Nigeria — At least seven Nigerian soldiers were...

Kenya Pushes to Expand Exports as Trade with Brazil Records 25pc Growth

BRASILIA, Brazil — Kenya is seeking to deepen trade...

Kenya Steps Up Ebola Preparedness as Regional Outbreak Spreads in DRC, Uganda

NAIROBI, Kenya — Kenya has intensified national preparedness measures...