NAIROBI, Kenya- Public transport operators have officially called off the nationwide matatu strike following talks with President William Ruto at State House, Mombasa, bringing relief to millions of commuters and businesses affected by days of transport disruption.
The strike, which had paralysed transport across major towns and cities, was suspended earlier in the week to pave way for fresh negotiations between the government and transport sector stakeholders over soaring fuel prices.
Speaking after the meeting on Friday, Federation of Public Transport Sector Chairperson Edwin Mukabana announced that operators had agreed to fully withdraw the planned industrial action and return vehicles to the roads immediately.
“I am announcing to all our members, especially our investors, drivers and conductors, that following our deliberations with His Excellency, the strike we had suspended has now been fully called off,” Mukabana said.
The nationwide strike had triggered widespread protests and transport paralysis earlier in the week as operators protested the high cost of diesel, which has sharply increased following the global fuel crisis linked to tensions in the Middle East.
During the unrest, roads were blocked in several towns while businesses and schools were forced to close temporarily. Authorities said at least four people were killed and more than 30 others injured during clashes between protesters and police.
Following Friday’s talks, Ruto announced a further reduction of diesel prices by Sh10 in the upcoming June–July fuel pricing cycle as part of measures aimed at cushioning transport operators and ordinary Kenyans from rising fuel costs.
The President also unveiled several interventions targeting the transport sector, including engagement with banks to explore financial relief for operators struggling with loan repayments.
Ruto further directed the Ministry of Transport and the Insurance Regulatory Authority to address complaints surrounding insurance claims affecting matatu operators.
The government additionally pledged to review the Insurance Act and Auctioneers Act within the next three months to create what Ruto described as a fairer and more responsive framework for the sector.
Matatu Owners Association officials welcomed the outcome of the meeting, saying the government had demonstrated willingness to listen to the concerns of operators.
Despite calling off the strike, operators maintained that the high cost of fuel remains a major threat to the public transport industry and the broader economy.
Kenya continues to face pressure from rising global oil prices triggered by disruptions in international supply chains, with the government insisting the crisis is not unique to Kenya.



