NAIROBI, Kenya — Kenya has ruled out Ebola in all 196 suspected cases tested as of August 16, 2026, even as a rapidly spreading outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has become the country’s deadliest in history, killing 2,325 people.
Public Health Principal Secretary Mary Muthoni said the suspected cases tested at Kenya’s National Virology Reference Laboratory (NVRL) and collaborating laboratories had all returned negative results.
“All 196 suspected cases have tested NEGATIVE for EVD,” Muthoni said in an update.
The results mean Kenya has not confirmed a case of Ebola despite heightened surveillance as the disease spreads in neighbouring countries. Kenya has continued strengthening preparedness and monitoring for suspected infections amid the escalating regional outbreak.
DRC Ebola deaths surpass 2018–2020 toll
The situation in the DRC has deteriorated sharply, with the latest official figures showing 4,945 confirmed Ebola infections and 2,325 deaths as of August 16.
The death toll has surpassed the 2,299 deaths recorded during the DRC’s 2018–2020 Ebola outbreak, making the current epidemic the deadliest in the country’s history. The latest figures also include 101 new confirmed cases recorded within 24 hours.
The World Health Organisation said the current outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo species of Ebola virus and has spread across six provinces in the DRC. As of August 12, WHO had recorded 4,665 confirmed cases and 2,184 deaths, with the figures subsequently rising as surveillance and transmission continued.
The outbreak was officially declared on May 15, 2026, and has expanded beyond its initial epicentre in Ituri. Health authorities and international agencies have faced major challenges including weak health infrastructure, insecurity, population movement and difficulties in tracing contacts.
Fatality rate raises concern
The severity of the outbreak is also reflected in its rising case-fatality ratio.
The proportion of confirmed Ebola patients dying from the disease has risen from about 20 per cent in early June to roughly 46 per cent, according to the latest figures cited in the outbreak updates.
WHO reported a crude case-fatality ratio of 46.8 per cent among confirmed cases in the DRC as of August 12.
The high fatality rate has been linked to challenges in detecting cases early and providing timely treatment, with health workers also facing significant exposure risks. WHO reported at least 155 confirmed infections among healthcare workers, including 45 deaths, as of August 9.
No approved vaccine for current strain
The outbreak is particularly challenging because it is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments specifically available.
Experimental vaccines and therapies are being assessed, while researchers and health authorities are examining whether existing Ebola interventions could offer protection against the strain. Evidence for some potential approaches remains limited.
The outbreak has also expanded geographically. WHO said cases had been reported in 54 health zones across six provinces as of August 12, while the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control reported that the outbreak had reached Bas-Uele, the sixth affected province.




