Former World Boxing Champion Zolani Tete Shot Dead Outside South Africa Home

Date:

CAPE TOWN, South Africa — Former boxing world champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete was shot dead outside his home in South Africa’s Eastern Cape province on Friday, in an attack that has renewed concerns over the country’s persistent violent crime.

Tete, 38, was arriving at his home in the Mdantsane township when two men wearing balaclavas reportedly got out of a vehicle and opened fire.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 27-year-old woman who was with the former champion was also shot multiple times and taken to hospital, according to police.

Authorities said the motive for the shooting had not been established and that investigations were underway. Police have appealed to members of the public with information about the attack to assist investigators.

Zolani Tete had been preparing for a boxing return

Tete’s death has triggered an outpouring of tributes from the boxing community and South African officials.

South African Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Gayton McKenzie described Tete as one of the country’s finest fighters and said the nation had lost a prominent sporting figure.

“There are no words I can offer tonight that will be equal to what [the family] has lost,” McKenzie said.

According to the minister, Tete had been training for a return to competitive boxing and believed he still had more to contribute to South Africa.

Tete fought 34 professional bouts during his career and became a two-time world champion.

He won the IBF junior-bantamweight title in 2014 before capturing the bantamweight world title in 2017.

The boxer also entered the Guinness World Records for recording the fastest knockout in a world title fight.

Boxing world mourns former champion

The World Boxing Council paid tribute to Tete, extending its condolences to his family and recognising his career in the sport.

Tete’s career included major victories at the highest level of professional boxing, establishing him as one of South Africa’s notable champions.

His death at the age of 38 has therefore prompted tributes not only to his achievements inside the ring but also to his plans to return to boxing.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Ruto’s UDA gets largest share of Political Parties Fund with Sh549.97 million allocation

NAIROBI, Kenya — President William Ruto’s United Democratic Alliance...

TikTok Agrees to Pay $400 Million to Settle US Child Privacy Lawsuit

WASHINGTON, US — TikTok and its parent company ByteDance...

Moses Kuria to Kindiki: Ruto Will Decide His Running Mate

NAIROBI, Kenya- Former Cabinet Secretary Moses Kuria has challenged...

Muli targets Kitui Central seat as NLP builds wider 2027 political push

NAIROBI, Kenya — National Liberal Party (NLP) leader Augustus...