KNH Starts Turning Away Non-Emergency Patients as County Health Strikes Deepen Congestion

Date:

NAIROBI, Kenya- Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) has asked patients seeking non-emergency treatment to consider alternative health facilities as rising patient numbers linked to industrial action in several counties put additional pressure on the country’s largest referral hospital.

In a statement issued on August 20, 2026, KNH said it was experiencing increased patient volumes as people who would ordinarily seek treatment at county and other health facilities turned to the national referral hospital.

The influx has resulted in longer waiting times and delays, particularly for patients seeking non-emergency services.

“As a national referral hospital, KNH is receiving more patients who would ordinarily access services at county and other health facilities. This has resulted in longer waiting times and delays, particularly for non-emergency services,” the hospital said.

KNH therefore urged patients with non-urgent medical needs to seek treatment at hospitals closer to them where appropriate.

“Clients seeking non-emergency care are encouraged to consider other hospitals closer to them, where appropriate, to ease pressure on KNH and facilitate timely access to care,” the hospital said.

Emergency and critical care services continue

Despite the congestion, KNH said it remains fully operational and continues to provide emergency and critical care.

“KNH remains open and continues to provide emergency and critical care services,” the hospital said.

The hospital apologised for the inconvenience caused by the increased demand and appealed to patients to remain patient and understanding as it manages the pressure.

The latest situation illustrates the ripple effects of disruptions in county health services, with patients increasingly moving to referral facilities when services closer to their homes become unavailable.

County strikes increase pressure on KNH

KNH has faced similar pressure during previous periods of industrial action in the health sector.

Earlier in 2026, a doctors’ strike disrupted services at the hospital, with some procedures and appointments affected as health workers pushed for improved working conditions.

The referral facility has also experienced challenges involving bed capacity and overcrowding, particularly in specialised departments where patients from across the country depend on KNH for advanced treatment.

The pressure tends to increase whenever county hospitals face staffing shortages, labour disputes or other interruptions to service delivery.

Earlier this year, KNH Chief Executive Officer Dr Richard Lesiyampe warned that industrial action in county health facilities was pushing more patients toward the national referral hospital and stretching its capacity.

He cited increased pressure in areas such as maternity and emergency care as patients sought alternatives to facilities in affected counties.

The latest advisory suggests the problem remains unresolved, with the national referral hospital now asking patients who do not require urgent treatment to explore other options.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

ChatGPT Tops Global AI Tools With 5.3 Billion Monthly Visits, Ranking Shows

NAIROBI, Kenya - ChatGPT has emerged as the world’s...

Dr Victoria Mutiso Murder: Angela Mulwa Appears in Court After Re-Arrest

NAIROBI, Kenya - Lawyer Angela Mulwa has appeared in...

Kindiki Vows to Defend DP Seat as He Takes Fresh Swipe at Gachagua

THARAKA NITHI, Kenya - Deputy President Kithure Kindiki has...

‘You Were Chased Away Like an Idiot’: Kindiki Attacks Gachagua Over Ruto Fallout

NAIROBI, Kenya - Deputy President Kithure Kindiki has launched...