Shots Fired at US Consulate in Toronto as Police Launch Counterterrorism Investigation

Date:

TORONTO, Canada— Shots were fired at the United States Consulate in Toronto early Monday, prompting a major police investigation involving Canada’s counterterrorism unit after a bullet struck the diplomatic mission’s exterior. Authorities confirmed that no injuries were reported in the incident.

According to Toronto Police, the shooting occurred at approximately 4:45 a.m. local time when an officer stationed outside the consulate heard a gunshot. A subsequent inspection revealed that the building’s façade had been struck by a bullet.

Deputy Police Chief Frank Barredo said officers immediately responded to the incident and launched a search for the suspects.

Police Pursue Suspect Vehicle

Investigators said a white sedan without licence plates was seen fleeing the area moments after the shooting. Officers briefly pursued the vehicle before calling off the chase due to concerns over public safety arising from its excessive speed.

Police secured the scene and recovered shell casings as forensic investigators began examining evidence.

Authorities have not announced any arrests or identified suspects. The Toronto Police Service confirmed that its counterterrorism unit is participating in the investigation because of the location and nature of the attack.

The United States Consulate acknowledged the incident and thanked Toronto Police for their swift response.

Separate Shootings Under Investigation

The consulate shooting comes amid a series of violent incidents in Toronto over the past few days.

Police are also investigating two separate shootings that targeted bakeries belonging to a chain owned by a member of the Jewish community over the weekend.

Reacting to the incidents, Ontario Premier Doug Ford condemned the attacks, describing them as unacceptable.

“I’m totally disgusted by the shootings and vandalism that took place in Toronto over the last few days, including at two Jewish-owned businesses over the weekend and near the U.S. Consulate this morning,” Ford said in a statement posted on X.

He added that active investigations were underway and expressed confidence that those responsible would be identified and prosecuted.

“I expect all those responsible to be found, prosecuted and punished to the fullest extent of the law,” he said.

Second Attack on Consulate This Year

The latest shooting marks the second attack targeting the US Consulate in Toronto in four months.

On March 10, gunmen fired multiple rounds at the diplomatic compound in what police described as a national security incident. The attack prompted Canadian authorities to strengthen security around US and Israeli diplomatic facilities in the city.

In June, police arrested two suspects, aged 18 and 19, in connection with that earlier shooting. Investigators alleged the pair had been recruited to carry out violent acts, although authorities did not disclose further details regarding the alleged plot.

Investigation Continues

Police have urged anyone with information, surveillance footage or dashcam recordings from the area around the time of the shooting to come forward as investigators work to establish the motive and identify those responsible.

Authorities have not indicated whether Monday’s attack is linked to the previous consulate shooting or the recent attacks targeting Jewish-owned businesses.

The investigation remains ongoing.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Trending

More like this
Related

Ruto: 32.3 Million Kenyans Now Registered With SHA

NAIROBI, Kenya- President William Ruto has declared that Kenya...

Oil Prices Jump After US-Iran Ceasefire Expires and Trump Threatens Oman

LONDON, United Kingdom - Oil prices have surged after the...

Sh1.57bn PROFIT Programme Scandal: Names of Treasury Officials, Businessmen Arrested by EACC

NAIROBI, Kenya- The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) has...

Drama as Suspected Fake US$259 Million Notes Recovered in Eldoret Safe Boxes

ELDORET, Kenya - Police in Eldoret have recovered a large...